Check out our weekly round-up of last week’s top food startup, tech and innovation news below or peruse the full newsletter here.
1. Salad Chain Sweetgreen Is Planning a US IPO This Year – BloombergThe company raised $156m from Durable Capital Partners in January, valuing it at $1.78b. That followed a $150m funding round in 2019.
5.Oatly expects to raise as much as $1.65b for itself and its investors in an IPO, potentially giving the maker of plant-based food and drink products a total valuation of over $10b. – Bloomberg
6. Singapore Manufacturer OsomeFood Says It Has Created the World’s First Plant-Based Hard Boiled Egg – Green QueenOsomeFood’s product range is made from naturally occurring fungi that undergoes a fermentation process to create mycoprotein that carries the same essential amino acids that are present in meat products.
7. Germany: ‘Clean Meat As a Service’: Plug-and-Play Tech Turns Meat Producers into Cell-Based Pork Producers – Food Navigator
Innocent Meat is making an automated meat production system for industrial meat producers, providing them with bioreactors, cell media and growth factors, and access to smart software.
8. Texas Lawmakers Approve Bill Banning ‘Meat’ and ‘Beef’ from Labels of Plant-Based Foods – The Hill
The bill will also keep companies that produce food from insects, plants or cell cultures, not slaughtered animals, from using the label “meat,” “pork,” “poultry” or “beef.”
9. Oprah-Backed Apeel Wants to Help Grocers Peer Into Produce – BloombergApeel has acquired ImpactVision, maker of hyperspectral imaging tech, for an undisclosed sum.
13. Chipotle Is Sued by New York City Over Scheduling Practices – New York TimesThe city seeks $150m in relief for employees, accusing the fast-food giant of “complete disregard” of a law governing workweeks.
14. AquaBounty Sells Out First 5T of GE Fish with Harvests to Start in May – Undercurrent NewsThe forthcoming harvests and sales will represent the end of a journey to market over three decades in the making.
16. New Guard 2021 – EaterMeet the inspiring leaders using food to challenge conventions, empower their communities and make positive change.
17. Hunger Rates Plummet After Two Rounds of Stimulus – PoliticoRepublicans have long sought to shrink government aid, but Democrats see the data as proof that the direct payments are working as intended.
Our newsletter is the absolute easiest way to stay on top of the emerging sector, so sign up for it today and never miss the latest food tech and innovation news and trends, Already signed up? Share the love with your friends and colleagues!
The post John Mackey and Whole Foods Invest in Cultured Meat Startup, Sweetgreen to IPO + More appeared first on Food+Tech Connect. plant-based cell-based meat cultured meat memphis meats motif foodworks motif meat chicken fish poultry beef pork cheese milk burger protein cultured cell-based mycoprotein fermentation ipo investors funding investment