If you’re planning a plant-based dinner party, date night, or just an evening in alone, Italian food is always a good bet. Vegan Italian recipes are easier than ever to come by, due in part to the rising popularity and prevalence of dairy-free cheese. This vegan aubergine parmigiana recipe requires minimal ingredients, and it’s easy to make.
Aubergine parmiagiana traditionally refers to a vegetarian bake containing cheese, tomato sauce, and aubergine. This recipe has been veganized, however, and features dairy-free mozzarella. Originating in Italy (though the exact location isn’t known), parmiagiana can be found in Italian restaurants throughout the world.
This vegan recipe comes from chef Antonio Alderuccio, the CEO and head chef of Plant Club in Stoke Newington, London. The eatery has amassed something of a cult following among vegans, known for its high quality gluten-free Italian food and realistic alternatives to dairy-heavy dishes like gnocci cacio e pepe and burrata.
This plant-based aubergine parmigiana recipe requires just a few ingredients, the majority of which you may already have in your cupboard or fridge. Here’s everything you need to know about how to make it.
Vegan aubergine parmigiana recipe
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 400 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 300 g vegan mozzarella cheese (or another vegan cheese of your choice)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Slice the eggplants into thin rounds, sprinkle a little salt on both sides, and letthem sit for about 30 minutes. This helps to remove any bitterness from theeggplants. After 30 minutes, rinse the eggplant slices and pat them dry with a kitchentowel
- In a pan, heat some olive oil and sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic untilthey become golden brown. Add the canned crushed tomatoes and dried oregano,then simmer the sauce over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until itthickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- In a non-stick skillet, cook the eggplant slices on both sides until they are tenderand slightly golden. Add more olive oil if needed
- In a baking dish, spread a little tomato sauce on the bottom. Layer with eggplantslices, followed by a layer of vegan mozzarella cheese. Repeat until you've used allthe ingredients, finishing with a final layer of tomato sauce and vegan mozzarellacheese
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 30-40 minutes. Then,uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the eggplant parmigiana isgolden and bubbling
- Let it rest for a few minutes before serving, garnishing with fresh basil
Want more vegan dinner recipes? check out the below:
- Planning A Vegan Steak Night? Try This Dairy-Free Brandy Peppercorn Sauce
- These Garlic Butter Mushroom Scallops Are Completely Vegan
- This Vegan Patatas Bravas Is A Perfect Easy Dinner Party Recipe
The post This Cheesy Aubergine Parmigiana Is The Ultimate Vegan Comfort Food appeared first on Plant Based News.cheese plant-based plant based dairy-free alternative