Many plant-based eaters will know that mushrooms are a hugely versatile ingredient, used in pastas, stir-fries, risottos, and curries around the world. Some people may not be aware that mushrooms can also be made into meat alternatives: used to make steaks, meatballs, and scallops. This recipe shows you how to easily make dairy-free garlic butter mushrooms scallops – with just five ingredients.
Scallops are a type of marine mollusk belonging to the Pectinidae family. They are shellfish, and are commonly eaten in a number of countries in the world. For plant-based eaters, however, mushrooms can provide an excellent plant-based alternative to scallops.
The below recipe, which comes from Romy London, features instructions not only on making vegan scallops, but also how to create your own dairy-free garlic butter.
Garlic butter mushroom scallops recipe
For the scallops
- 14 oz king oyster mushrooms
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- Slice the king oyster mushrooms into 1⁄2-to 1-inch (1-to 2.5-cm) pieces. Use a small sharp knife to cut a crisscross pattern into the surfaces of the slices, about 0.04 to 0.08 inch (1 to 2 mm)deep
- Melt the vegan butter in a large, nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and a pinch of salt. Set the mushroom slices into the pan flat and fry for 3 for 4 minutes, until the bottoms become golden. Flip and repeat on the second side
- When the second side is just about done, sprinkle in your fresh thyme, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Spoon the melted garlic butter and thyme over the mushroom scallops when serving
- Serve alongside parsnip mash and a delicious teriyaki seitan steak
This recipe comes from Romy London. You can visit her website and check out more of her plant-based recipes here. She recently released a vegan cookbook, The Ultimate Guide to Vegan Roasts, which you can buy here.
If you liked these scallops, check out more vegan dinner recipes below:
- Try This Orange And Ginger Glazed Tofu For Your Next Vegan Date Night
- This Vegan Patatas Bravas Is A Perfect Easy Dinner Party Recipe
- These Vegan Duck Pancakes Are A Perfect Fakeaway Recipe
The post These Garlic Butter Mushroom Scallops Are Completely Vegan appeared first on Plant Based News.meat plant-based plant based dairy-free alternative