9 Plant-Based Bacon Brands for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
There’s nothing hip about animal-based bacon.
Despite the numerous health risks associated with consuming processed meats (like global pandemics!), pork products are the most commonly consumed meats worldwide and are responsible for a total of 36 percent of all meat consumption according to the United States Department of Agriculture. Not only is this highly unfortunate for the pigs but pork consumption also comes with serious human health risks, including foodborne illnesses such as e.coli, trichinosis, and salmonella, as well as hepatitis E. Consumption of pork products might also increase the risk of multiple sclerosis, while research has also shown that pork has been linked to degenerative liver conditions such as cirrhosis and cancer. Add to that the environmental damage for which hog farms are responsible, and we don’t understand why so many people love bacon. Luckily, there’s a solution to this problem, and that answer is vegan bacon. With this in mind, we’re highlighting seven cruelty-free bacons that’ll have the hippest of hipsters reminding themselves that there’s nothing more cutting edge than a cruelty-free diet.
The Herbivorous Butchers
1. The Herbivorous Butcher Maple Glazed Bacon and Hickory Smoked BaconSimilar to all-things Herbivorous Butcher, these faux bacons are meaty (in all the right ways). Chewy and with the ability to crisp to perfection, these bacons are great stacked in sandwiches or alongside vegan flapjacks, waffles, and French toast. Even better? Eat them over the frying pan while they’re still hot. Don’t worry—we won’t judge. If you live in Minnesota, you can pick up these plant-based treats locally. Otherwise, they ship! Find it here.
2. Upton’s Naturals Bacon SeitanThis meaty, chewy, versatile seitan bacon makes a most excellent BLT loaded with heirloom tomatoes, vegan mayonnaise, arugula, and sprouted grain toast. Cook it long if you like your bacon super crisp or just slightly warm them in a pan if you’re a chewy bacon fan. Available in many natural food stores and Whole Foods Markets, this bacon is ideal for a quick breakfast on the go or a bountiful Sunday brunch. Find it here.
3. Lightlife Smart BaconPerfect for the meat-eater looking to go vegan, Lightlife offers a meaty plant-based bacon that cooks crisp and chewy. Similar in taste to Upton’s, Smart Bacon can be found in major supermarkets (be sure to look for coupons) … and on breakfast plates of vegans from California to Maine. Find it here.
4. Sweet Earth Foods Hickory & Sage Benevolent BaconSage and smokiness give Sweet Earth’s veggie bacon a rich umami flavor that tastes great in a BLT. It’s also delicious when chopped and tossed with pasta, green peas, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast. Find it here.
5. Lightlife Tempeh Smoky Bacon StripsLightlife’s tempeh bacon is excellent on your barbecue grill! Just be sure not to drop it through the slats. Serve alongside grilled vegetables and corn for an excellent al fresco meal. Find it here.
6. Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated TempehTofurky is best known for its holiday roast, sausages, and deli slices, but the company is one of the world’s best tempeh producers, too. This Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh is no exception, as the product is another great cruelty-free bacon for your favorite sandwich or breakfast spread. Find it here.
7. Yves Veggie BaconLower in fat and cholesterol than “real” bacon, Yves’ Veggie Bacon is great on sandwiches, breakfast plates, and right out of the package. Or so we’ve heard. Find it here.
8. Be Leaf Vegan BaconPioneers of the Vegan Fried Egg, Be Leaf is taking over the breakfast game. The thin, crispy strips of this meat-free favorite are sure to fool omnivores. We’re willing to bet the smoky, sweet, and salty taste will keep them coming back for more. Find it here.
9. The Very Good Butchers Very Good BaconThe self-proclaimed bean butchers sling the finest vegan meats in Canada, including their Very Good Bacon. From classic BLTs to bacon-topped burgers and bacon-wrapped hot dogs, these cruelty-free eats are a sure win at your next barbecue. Find it here. Jill Ettinger is a freelance journalist, editor, and digital strategist, as well as the voice behind Instagram’s @theveganreporter.
Photo credit: Sweet Earth Foodsplant-based the very good butchers very good butchers nasdaq-bynd nyse-ingr nyse-lsf otc-nxmh otc-gurof tsx-guru otc-tofb otc-babyf tsx-baby otc-eatbf cse-eats otc-vryyf tsxv-very otc-burof tsx-bu otc-pltxf cse-vega nasdaqcm-mitc otc-agnmf st-simrisb tlv-svrt cse-vegn otc-vganf nasdaq-ttcf cse-meat tsxv-nsp cse-gdnp lon-tot nyse-kkr nasdaq-hain otc-veggf cse-plnt tse-food cve-gdnp tsxv-hulk cse-rsf nasdaq-celh kosdaq-64550 nyse-bio nyse-bp nasdaq-ilnm nasdaq-sial tlv-nto etr-srt cse-sire tlv-strs otc-kryay otc-gggsf nasdaq-smpl cve-gbly cse-pbic tofurky meat pork butcher burgers
Chipotle Charts a Sustainable Course for 2023 With ESG Goals and Food Tech Investments
Fermented10 hours ago
Carnival Cruise Line Provides Clarity On Two Controversial Policies
Plant-Based2 days ago
The Ultimate Vegan Guide to Carl’s Jr.
Public Companies2 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Makes Its Drug Policies Very Clear
Plant-Based2 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Answers a Key Passenger Question
Plant-Based2 days ago
LEON Launches Vegan Smoked Garlic Aioli for Retail
Plant-Based4 hours ago
Why Big Meat Has an Ugly Human Rights Problem
Markets & Investing2 hours ago
Revyve Develops Egg White Replacer Made From Spent Brewer’s Yeast
Protein Types4 hours ago