Plant-Based Sector Week In Review: Fungi-Based Steak Maker Raises $50M
Source: Ilia Yechimovich via Getty Images Every week we track the business, tech and investment trends in CPG, retail, restaurants, agriculture, cooking…
This article was originally published by Food Tech Connect.Source: Ilia Yechimovich via Getty Images Every week we track the business, tech and investment trends in CPG, retail, restaurants, agriculture, cooking and health, so you don’t have to. Here are some of this week’s top headlines. Faux meat startups continue to go head to head in the race to go to market. Israeli cultivated meat maker, Aleph Farms, has announced a $105 million Series B that will help it scale its manufacturing capabilities and expand its operations internationally. Meanwhile, Meati has raised a $50 million Series B to build a production plant for its fungi-based steaks. Beyond Meat has launched plant-based chicken tenders at 400 restaurants. In other news, Chobani has quietly filed for an IPO that could value it at $10 billion. Siete Foods now wants to go global. Our newsletter takes a lot of time and resources to produce. Make a one time or monthly contribution to help us keep it going. Whether it’s $5 or $500, every bit helps and shows us that you value our work.
Check out our weekly round-up of last week’s top food startup, tech and innovation news below or peruse the full newsletter here.
1. Israel’s Aleph Farms to Expand Cell-Based Operations Globally after $105M Series B – Green QueenThe company will use capital to scale up its manufacturing capabilities and expand its operations internationally ahead of its initial market launch in 2022.
2. Expect Fungi-Based Steak on Your Plate by 2022: Meati Raises $50M – ForbesMeati, a company commercializing vegan protein sourced from mycelium, secured a series B to build a production plant and get its cuts to restaurants around the US.
3. Yogurt Maker Chobani Confidentially Files for US IPO, Valuation May Exceed $10B – CNBCThe company, which has factories in New York, Idaho and Australia, has not yet determined the number of shares it plans to sell or the price range for its proposed offering.
4. A Decade Later, Beyond Meat Reveals Its Second Attempt At Faux Chicken Tenders – ForbesConsumer demand for chicken has skyrocketed as the industrial poultry production industry has faced shortages and supply issues. Beyond is hoping those tailwinds will help convince buyers that its new tenders should go out to fast food chains, restaurants, cafeterias, hospitals and other locations.
5. Gluten-Free Is Mainstream Now. Just Look at Siete’s $1B Ambition – BloombergSiete, a Mexican food brand, is in 16k locations and sees sales hitting $200m this year. Now it wants to go global.
6. India: Ant-Backed Food App Boosts India IPO Target to $1.3B – BloombergBernstein values Zomato at about $10b. The company vies with its main rival Swiggy as well as smaller contenders in a fast-growing Indian food services market that is estimated to balloon to $97b by 2025.
7. Satellite Imagery Company Planet Labs Is Going Public, Backed by Google, BlackRock and Marc Benioff – CNBCThe company’s imagery then feeds into a data index that Planet says makes the Earth “searchable” for its more than 600 customers. The deal is expected to raise $434m.
8. MaxAB, the Egyptian B2B Food and Grocery Delivery Startup, Raises $40M for Expansion – TechCrunchThe company will be expanding its physical footprint across the Middle East and North Africa. MaxAB’s platform manages procurement and grocery delivery to shops in Egypt.
9. C3 Raises $80M to Expand Its Virtual Food Hall Concept – The SpoonThe company operates more than 40 virtual restaurant brands, leveraging underutilized kitchen spaces around the country to cook and fulfill those orders.
10. Instawork Raises $60M to Connect Local Businesses with Hourly Workers – The SpoonInstawork checks references and makes sure each worker is qualified, then connects them with open shifts available at different companies. Workers can get paid within hours of completion and rate their shift.
Our newsletter is the absolute easiest way to stay on top of the emerging sector, so sign up for it today and never miss the latest food tech and innovation news and trends, Already signed up? Share the love with your friends and colleagues!
The post Fungi-Based Steak Maker Raises $50M, Chobani’s IPO + More appeared first on Food+Tech Connect. plant-based cultivated meat beyond meat nasdaq-bynd meati siete foods siete meat chicken poultry yogurt protein cell-based ipo shares investment industry startup startups
Is It Possible to Make Vegan Deviled Eggs? (Yes, and Here are the Recipes to Prove It)
Plant-Based3 hours ago
TACO BELL®’S ICONIC CRUNCHWRAP GOES VEGAN
Plant-Based5 hours ago
GFI NAMED TO THE FUTURE 50 FASTEST-GROWING SUSTAINABLE COMPANIES LIST
Public Companies2 days ago
Five ways to make your summer barbecue better for the environment
Plant-Based19 hours ago
ChatGPT Founder-Backed Uncommon Raises $30M In A Series A For RNA-Driven Cultivated Pork
Private Companies7 hours ago
Puratos make its largest chocolate industry acquisition to date
Plant-Based21 hours ago
The State of the Science on Alternative Proteins: January through May 2023
Private Companies13 hours ago
50 start-ups to meet at Future Food-Tech Alternative Proteins
Private Companies19 hours ago
VC-backed boba chain Ume wants to pour into mainstream with surprise plushies
Plant-Based22 hours ago
The Chinese Plant-Based Meat Industry is “Faltering”, Claims Publication. Is This Really the Case?
Plant-Based22 hours ago